Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Getting organized, first week.


Yesterday i went on the famous Coogee to Bondi beach walk. Similar cliffside path as I ran the other day, going for about 6.4 km passing the most beautiful scenery. Over the past few days, I've noticed myself constantly looking at the architecture - a mix of very modern LA beach house looking places and smaller drab houses. I keep changing my mind from liking the small charming hammock houses and then the cleaner, more angular fancy-patio places….still can't decide. 

                                                                                 ~                     ~                    ~ 


Today was orientation for all study abroad and exchange students at the University of New South Wales. There are approximately 700 international students this semester at the "Uni." We listened for three hours about all the trips we can take during our time here - from weekend surf camps to completely planned out/all inclusive 10-day trips to Bali, Thailand, New Zealand, etc. There are TOO many options. I do not know where to even begin. Prizes were being thrown out like crazy this morning (unfortunately I never got a welcome pack with a raffle entry ticket in it) and serious prizes too - several people won this trip called "One Fish Two fish" ($2000 value) which includes a 10 day trip up the Gold Coast with snorkeling, cruises, scuba diving, bungee jumping, white water rafting, nightclubs, hiking, and much more. Needless to say I was more than pissed I never got to even enter the drawing. Guess that will be showing up on my credit card (thank you/sorry mom. I'll be as wise as I can be)

I got a great sense of the campus this morning as I altered my schedule and walked around to the various places my lectures will be held. I am currently enrolled in Perception and Cognition Psychology, Painting/Drawing, the Marine Environment, and Australian society, law, and culture. I cannot stress enough how friendly and helpful all the Australians I have met are. The study abroad woman had about 50 students waiting in line to tweak their schedules and she still spent a good 15 minutes helping me choose the best possible schedule. She actually said to me that most Australians will not attend some Friday lectures because it is close to the weekend and that all the lectures are recorded and then posted online so there is really no need to go to class…!!! What!? Fine with me…(shhh) The academic system here is very different from the US and will definitely take some getting used to…Instead of starting from 100% the Australians start from 0 and add points, so it is harder to get close to 100. Anything above 75% is considered equivalent to an American A, and here it is called HD (high distinction) and only about 5% of students achieve that mark. 

I am short bus ride away from campus or a 25 minute walk, which is a little inconvenient but once it warms up I'm sure it will be easier...and I will be more willing to put in the walking effort. But I am determined to make friends with lots of Australians and have them show me the best local spots…that is my main goal right now, I have faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment