Sunday, July 22, 2012

Finally, social commentary!

Sorry it has been so long since I've posted! Each day here seems to have fewer and fewer hours to it, and more and more stuff to do. There is an endless checklist of things I want to do, and things I want to tell the world about! I'll start with some exciting news:

SPRING BREAK PLANS ON ROUTE TO BEING FINALIZED!

I have booked a one-way flight to Cairns (Great Barrier Reef)! Sorry mom and dad, but I will not be going to Uni anymore. Just kidding. Whew! One way flight up the coast, day of scuba diving & snorkeling, one day of whitewater rafting, one day of hiking, all while staying at the youth hostel in the center of Cairns (is there a 1000 person capacity club in the downstairs of the hostel? Why yes.) Then taking an overnight bus (saving time and $$) down to the Whitsundays. If you haven't already looked up photos of these places, I warn you - prepare to be extremely jealous. 2-night, 2 day sailing boat trip around all of the islands, then taking a cheap flight back to Sydney! Let's hope I don't have too many assignments for the week back...eeek.

Traveling with one of my new best friends, Charlotte. She's from Belgium, computer science major at Vanderbilt, family just moved to Singapore, and hilarious. What a great find! She and I are quite keen on doing the adventurous activities, but we are also traveling with my friend from Conn, Shaelah, and another one of our new friends, Ali. We are all starting in Cairns together and then we might do our own things for the second half. Ali is visiting her friends in New Zealand for a few days, and the rest of us want to stay on the Golden Coast.

I realized that I haven't talked about the people I've met that much...maybe because some of them might be reading this? Haha, in any event, I am very happy with the friends I've made so far! Most of my friends are from my program, almost all of them from the US. The orientation program group is made up of mostly Wakeforest and Vanderbilt kids. Just from the universities' reputations you might think I wouldn't be the biggest fan of those type of students, but I've managed to find some great people. Here's a photo of a bunch of us!

From left: Charlotte, Shaelah, Ali, & me.

Photo was taken during our epic "Oz Party Bus" event. We all signed up for this party bus, advertised to all the study abroad students, which bused around 150 Americans to four different bars all around Sydney. Four complimentary drinks, karaoke, bowling, music, the works. You can imagine how crazy it would be to have a giant bus drop off hundreds of drunk Americans...
But it was an experience - not entirely recalled - and I met some nice people!

I definitely have to make quite an effort to meet people though because I am living off campus. There's lots going on on campus but sometimes I hear about it too late or something like that. I'm working hard to stay updated! There are a lot of Americans living in Coogee with me - which is nice - but not great for meeting Australians. Class lectures are over two hundred so that's also hard, but I am happy with the friends I've met so far, and it's still early in the game.

Oh I almost forgot to mention that I was introduced to the love of my life! Fortunately, she is a singer. Here's something to end with:

"Now my life is sweet like cinnamon, like a fucking dream I'm living in." - Lana Del Ray


P.S. COME VISIT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment